Friday, October 8, 2010

A Friday afternoon detention

So I just gave a detention to "Susie" and a mint lifesaver 5 minutes later. She seemed befuddled by this, but  it makes sense to me. She didn't follow the rules, therefore I am obligated to follow my boss's instructions, which are to issue a detention for that particular infraction. However, I do not dislike this student because of her failure to follow the rules. And if I am giving mints out to the whole study hall, why would I skip her? Besides, her "detention" is 10 minutes after school with me. Maybe I'll give her another mint. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I think this raises a great point that we deal with all the time--for example, in responding to/criticizing/evaluating student work, especially student writing...not the writer. I would suggest that developmentally students have trouble with this distinction (not that this difficulty necessarily goes away over time...Is it "maturity?")

    ReplyDelete